8/18/2010

Back again.

I thought that I would take a moment and clean up and updatemy blog. It has been almost a year since I was last here. I am changing my blog from the Things blog to about my collecting of Breyer Original Finish Model Horses.

I have been collecting on and off for the last 40+ years of model horses. Mostly Breyers of which I have the very first ones that I got back in the early 1970's and yes I am showing my age. I fell in love with them, with the freedom and expressions of horses. I loved them and plotted to get one when I was young. (I can keep in the garage...feed the hey from G & G's farm and feed from there also...etc) LOL I wrote it on my christmas list every year from about 4 until about 9. But no go so model horses were my way of having a horse that didn't require feeding or cleaning up after other than dusting but then again they never stayed on the special shelf long enough (at least in the beginning) to get dusty.

As I became older then other things were starting to take my money more and more but I still stayed true with my Breyers. They stayed on their shelf watching me and I still would take them down to be with me. Then the summer after my sophomore year I moved with my folks to the Midwest from N.E. (what a shocking time in my life) they came with me. Not as displayed as before but still with me. All the way thru finishing HS thru college and living on my own. They came with me to my apartments. Hubby was introduced to them from the first and even helped me to get one or 2 thru the years but still not very frequent purchases. 

It wasn't until I was able to attend the Lippizzaner shows that I was able to purchase a new Breyer, by that time had child and another.  Money was tight, but was able to purchase the Pluto at the show. That opened up the collecting bug all over again. Over they years I was able to start buying more of model horses then ever. 

Now that my children are grown and growing up I am able to get more and more in the serious side of collecting. This year I was able to attend my first BreyerFest in Lexington, KY which was fun, exhausting, hot, humid, wonderful and now am wishing to go next year. I actually drove by myself down there and stayed for nearly week. It was soo fun. I did come home sick though from driving to far and long (IL is a very long state to drive the length of). 

I did figure out that one that 1 week is not enough to get everything down in down there, so I guess that means I will need to go more often. Two, I found out that driving 12 hours is not good for me, very very swollen ankels (size of baseballs).  I also would like to be able to share this experience with someone also. So we'll see . I would like to be able afford to go next year but we'll see about that. 

Well I will sign off for now. I hope that you will enjoy the new direction of this blog.