5/13/2009

Thing 29-Google Tools

I have signed up for the Google Alerts. I did it for my personal information at this time. So it should be interesting to see if I get info on things close to my heart.
Is it useful to the library? Oh, yes, I can see the use of it in a library setting. Very helpful to let people know about the industries news or latest things. Also for local info to. The only thing would be is using the correct keywords to find the information. How narrow can you go?
Have used it? Yes I am using it. Is my library, no sure if it is beingused at this time.
Suggestions? I liked the ease of setting it up and cancelling it, also the ease that you can have it sent to your phone if there is something you are needing to keep to date on.
The Google News is interesting and very informative. Like it. I see that ELM is that way also so it would be very helpful in the library.
Google History does seem useful but I dont like the fact that they keep track of it. I guess because I have grown up with the "Big Brother" thing. but alt least Google is working on making more privacy. With the www everyones business is out there for the public to see and hear it. The videos have been very helpful in explaining things to me. I do like the fact that you can pause it so that none of the info is just available. But the other thing is that you have to be logged in for to work. Otherwise it just collects just generic info. That I do like.
As for the Search Wiki it is there. You can get it anywhere else on the www. I probably would not use this option.
Also liked the Goog411 havent used it yet but seems really interesting.